Caring for your Jewellery 

Simple care on your side is important for keeping the jewellery in good condition for the long run.


Cleaning: For cleaning it is good to use dishwashing soap [bio if u can] diluted in warm water and applied with an old toothbrush or even better, an electric toothbrush.
Deep cleaning of hard to reach areas can be done in the jewellery studio, or by other jewellers who has an ultrasonic cleanser.
If you wish to take my work to other jeweller for cleaning, you are requested to consult with me first!
Please do not let a jewellery shop clean your jewellery with porous gems in an ultrasonic cleanser! The vulnerable stones includes, but are not limited to Opals, Turquoise, Amber, and Corals.
Please check with me, or with someone with the relevant knowledge, for non-crystalline stone whether it is suitable for ultrasonic cleaning.


Protecting the jewellery from physical damage


It is always better to remove rings before doing rough work, even washing dishes. Some stones are very fragile and some like diamonds will never scratch, yet even a diamond may chip or crack if hit hard enough.
High karat gold will not normally brake, but may bend or collect dents and scratches.
At the beach, the sand is hard enough to scratch gold and even some stones, while at the same time it is all too easy to lose jewellery to the ocean.


Potentially damaging Chemicals


Chlorine can weaken gold over time [depending on the alloy] and may damage some types of stones. Household cleaning detergents may contain chlorine.
Swimming pools have low chlorine content, but after years of swimming in chlorinated pools, some gold may start to show cracks and thin parts may break.
Some white gold alloys are more susceptible to chlorine damage.  Chlorine is more active when hot, therefore chlorinated hot tubs [Jacuzzi] may damage jewellery more quickly!
The extremely toxic metal mercury (Found in old thermometers) will damage gold jewellery, possibly beyond repair! It creates amalgam by binding with the gold, removing the mercury is possible by heating the gold jewellery, but this should NEVER be attempted out side a proper laboratory facility!
(Mercury fumes are highly toxic, and may cause irreversible severe physical damage or death.) Even when removed safely…
the mercury leaves behind porosity in the gold. Sometimes it may be possible to physically remove and replace the
damaged section.
Other potentially damaging chemicals are not normally the sort of stuff one is exposed to. Still, people who work with
chemicals should not wear their jewellery to work.
Porous stones are usually much more sensitive to chemicals, while crystalline gems are generally more resistant.
Chemical reactions are often temperature dependant, therefore some gems, which otherwise can withstand the high temperatures
(needed for certain jewellery repairs), may still develop surface damage.
A chemical reaction with dirt sometimes happens with diamonds (the so-called ‘burned diamond), which is repairable
at the cost of re-cutting, if the stone is large enough. Sapphires behave differently, and may suffer from the usually benevolent boric acid.


Regarding Repairs


Over time it may be that at one point, you’ll need to take your jewellery in for repair. If you can, bring it here, otherwise look for a recommended shop in the area where you live. *It is usually a good idea to contact me for input about the repair if you are not fully sure regarding the repairing jeweller. Please do that before the repair. For information regarding a specific stone in your jewellery, contact me and I will try to answer with what I know.
Opals: information about opals is in Opals Info and Care paper.


It is a good practice to take jewellery for checkup every few years. bring it here, if you are around, or take it to someone near you that you trust.


[updated June 2019]